Displayed below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Click on the “>” icon associated with each question to view the answer.

Who administers Delaware C-PACE?

Energize Delaware administers the C-PACE program.

How do I know if my county participates in the C-PACE program?

Visit the Participating Areas page for a list of counties that participate in the Delaware C-PACE program. Note that the program administrator can only accept applications from property owners whose buildings are located in areas that have joined the program. Contact us to learn more or work with us to help your city or county join the Delaware C-PACE program.

Does C-PACE use taxpayer dollars to fund projects?

No. C-PACE uses private capital to fund projects. View a list of capital providers that participate in the program.

When is the voluntary C-PACE benefit assessment recorded on the property?

Upon closing of C-PACE financing.

Is this a voluntary program?

Yes. Owners who choose not to participate remain unaffected.

What are typical C-PACE financing interest rates?

To ensure the best possible terms, including interest rate and other fees, the property owner can review term sheets from multiple private capital providers, facilitated by the program administrator, to select the best fit.

How is the length of the repayment period determined?

Repayment periods span up to 25 years, depending on the owner’s preference, and are limited by the weighted average effective useful life (EUL) of the financed improvements.

How are tax credits, rebates, and utility incentives incorporated into C-PACE financing?

Property owners are encouraged to pursue available federal investment tax credits (ITC), utility rebates, and all other available incentives. All or a portion of total incentives may be subtracted from the amount financed under the C-PACE program.

Are there fees associated with the pre-payment of a C-PACE assessment?

Each C-PACE capital provider set their own terms, including pre-payment, in its financing agreement with the property owner. It is common for C-PACE capital providers to include a pre-payment fee schedule. 

Can I use any contractor?

Yes. View a list of contractors who have attended C-PACE training. Note that by providing this list, the program administrator is not recommending or endorsing any specific contractor.

Is there an application fee for C-PACE?

No, there is no fee to apply for C-PACE financing.

Are C-PACE assessments considered off-balance sheet?

You are encouraged to consult an accountant on this matter.

Is there clarity on the treatment of C-PACE as an operating expense from the perspective of the accounting industry?

You are encouraged to consult an accountant on this matter.

From an accounting perspective, have any auditing firms concluded that the assignable lien (which supports the financing) is not the property owner’s liability?

There has been no specific ruling by the Financial Accounting Standards Board on this issue.

How do developers qualify for financing?

Developers must design their buildings to exceed current Delaware energy code by at least 10 percent to qualify. 

How do I apply for C-PACE financing for my project?

To begin the application process, simply request the Project Application Form.

What is C-PACE for new construction?

Delaware commercial property assessed clean energy (C-PACE) is an innovative new financing mechanism that allows real estate developers to access affordable, long-term, non-recourse financing for the installation of energy efficiency and renewable energy measures in new buildings. The fixed-rate financing is provided by private capital providers through an open-market model to enable competitive rates and terms, and is repaid through a voluntary assessment that is recorded on the property (similar to a sewer assessment) that can extend up to 25 years.

You can use C-PACE if you design your building to meet or exceed Delaware’s current energy code (IECC 2018/ASHRAE 90.1-2016). Moreover, C-PACE can lower your weighted average cost of capital, reduce your owner equity contribution or your need for other types of financing, such as high-cost mezzanine financing.

Repayment is facilitated through the municipal property tax assessment process and you can transfer the assessment to a new owner if you sell the property.

What types of improvements are eligible for C-PACE financing?

Improvements that are eligible for C-PACE financing must be permanently affixed to the commercial or industrial property. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Automated building controls (such as BMS and EMS)
  • Boilers, chillers, and furnaces
  • Building envelope (such as insulation, glazing, windows)
  • Combined heat and power (CHP) systems
  • Fuel cells
  • Geothermal systems
  • High-efficiency lighting
  • Hot water systems
  • HVAC upgrades
  • Hydroelectric systems
  • Irrigation systems that improve water efficiency
  • Roof replacement that improves energy efficiency (such as reflective/cool roof, enhanced insulation)
  • Small wind systems
  • Solar PV (roof upgrade/replacement for rooftop systems is also eligible)
  • Solar thermal
  • Waste heat recovery technologies
  • Water efficient fixtures (such as low-flow faucets and toilets)

In addition, the cost of improvements that are directly related to the installation of eligible improvements may be included in the financing, e.g. roof upgrades to support a roof-mounted solar PV installation.

This list is not all-inclusive and is expected to change over time. If a proposed improvement or expense is not on this list, contact the program administrator with a description of the improvement or expense for consideration.

How does C-PACE financing benefit developers?

Developers can use C-PACE financing to replace up to 20 percent of their owner equity contribution or mezzanine financing, provided they design a new building to exceed the current energy code by at least 10 percent.

Back to Top